Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Comic-Con and Art


Right now, my sister, my brother-in-law, and a swill of artists I kind of know, and totally adore, are all at Comic-Con in San Diego right now. My inner geek hates that I’m not there, and the artist in me is saddened by the art I did for the Tr!ckster show. Three pieces, and all of them are such swill. I was trying to draw these awesome “cheesecake” girls, with paint, but the moron in me drew them in marker and not pencil. You can see the pen through the paint, ruining all three pieces.

I’m redoing them and calling this ‘lesson learned’. No pencil on illustration board, ever again. And I need new brushes, smaller ones so I can try out a technique I’ve been meaning to try.

In other news, I think I nailed down a painting style I want to incorporate into my resume. It’s a combination of Mary Blair, Scott Morse (because I love him), and Eyvind Earle. Strange combo, I know – well, not the Mary Blair and Scott Morse, but tossing in Earle and you’re talking ‘huh?’. Keep in mind, I’ll probably using this style on my friend Will Harris’s pencils, but I think the combination should be striking to say the least.

Now we just need a story to work on, and we’re set.

In the meantime, I think I’m going to ice my head (which feels like someone stuck an icepick in the back of), and set my lap board up to doodle. I’d paint, but I’d just get it all over me since I need to lie down.

No comments:

Post a Comment